January 25, 2022 by 1888media
Carly Kraft, the band’s vocalist and main songwriter, answered some sunny questions in conjunction:
1. What’s the backstory with the cool cabin space and please tell us a little bit about the making of?
CK: ‘Morningside Cabin’ as we like to call it, was a quarantine move out of the city of Boston during the pandemic. Justin (guitarist) and I (Carly) found a place in the woods in Upstate New York right between where he and I grew up. We were both inspired by our producer, Sam Kassirer who worked on Fieldcrest and Quarter Life Crisis, to find a space for the band to retreat for writing and recording sessions.
When it came to shooting the video, we willingly moved all of our furniture out of the living room and went around the house collecting all the plants we have. We felt incredibly inspired having our instruments and plants inside our new home and felt like it was the perfect opportunity for a video – a special space to share with our fans.
2. “Beach Song” is from your debut album Fieldcrest. Musically it’s quite pastoral, very vibey, almost like floating. What’s the “song” about, a particular place or a state of mind?
CK: Beach Song was originally a love song for the beach when I first started writing it but it quickly turned into daydreaming of moving to LA to pursue music. I was writing this song when the pandemic hit and it made me reimagine what my life was like and where I felt I needed to be.
Perhaps since I wasn’t ultimately able to be at the beach, I wanted this song to put any listener there immediately, as if they’ve teleported to their dreamiest one.
3. Where are the best beaches? Any on your bucket list?
CK: Most of our favorite beaches from the bunch are on the west coast, like La Jolla (San Diego), Davenport Beach (Santa Cruz) & Cannon Beach (PNW)!
4. You’ve announced slots at Levitate (w/ Phil Lesh & Friends, Jack Johnson, and Old Crow Medicine Show) and Boston Calling (w/ Foo Fighters, Metallica, Haim, Black Pumas, Run the Jewels, and Avril Lavigne). Who are you most excited to see?
CK: We’re so incredibly excited to be featured on these festivals. It’s a dream come true for us! We’re most excited about Vulfpeck, Sammy Rae, Flipturn, and Melt at Levitate.
And for Boston Calling, the lineup was a big surprise to us until they announced along with the rest of the world but when they did, the band went nuts. In particular, we’re super stoked for The Strokes, Japanese Breakfast, King Gizzard, Celisse, Cliff Notez and the list really goes on.
5. Adorable cameo by the band pups, what kind are they and who’s who?
CK: What you see here are 3 quarantine pups living their best life! On the left is my pup, Maggie Moo – she came from a rescue down in Virginia. Then we have Totoro – who is the perfect little Boston Terrier whose owners are Manuel (Bass) and his wife Ani, who is our house photographer.
Then on the right is Kevin’s rescue pup Mac, short for Macaroni – he’s the best behaved of the bunch 🙂 Mac and Mags could get away as siblings.